Ready to propel your career in a defense-related field?
Your Future Starts TODAY
Online students only pay $358.10 per semester credit hour
Master of Defense and Strategic Studies
$358.10 per semester credit hour for Texas students!
The University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) offers the 100% online Master of Defense and Strategic Studies (DSS) degree as part of our National Security Studies Institute—An Intelligence Community Center for Academic Excellence (IC CAE). Further your knowledge of the following critical areas:
- National security and modern warfare
- Military strategy and current defense issues
- Regional security and future conflict
Our online program provides the same excellence you’d expect from an on-campus program with the added benefit of flexible scheduling and on-the-go access. If you have a full-time job or family obligations, this professional graduate degree is perfect for you.
Taught by faculty with professional and academic backgrounds in all aspects of national security, our Master of Defense and Strategic Studies degree program is:
- One of only two civilian graduate programs in the U.S. with a defense and military strategy focus
- The only graduate degree of its kind in the U.S. offered completely online at a public research university
- Tailored to improving the competence of military and civilian personnel engaged in strategic planning and operations across various functional areas
As a graduate student in this program you will:
- Engage with people from diverse backgrounds and professional experiences to further enrich your own professional growth and education
- Get personal, tailor-made support for your needs
- Gain advanced knowledge of the defense and national security enterpise
Request more information today to get started with your degree!
I wanted to express my comments about the DSS program. IT’S AWESOME! All of the professors that I had provided a very challenging and stimulating environment. They were all very professional and always available for questions. They all chose very good reading material for the curriculum. I appreciated the constant feedback and critiques on my assignments and major research projects. The pace was extremely challenging and the professors were flexible when we experienced glitches with Blackboard and Moodle. I will be starting another graduate program with Arizona State University in the Spring and I feel very prepared and confident due to the guidance and mentorship that I received from my professors. Thank you.
Recent Graduate of the Master of Defense and Strategic Studies program
The DSS is a highly rigorous graduate program designed to provide an in-depth, critical examination of the major defense and security challenges facing the United States now and in the future. Particular attention will be placed on the development of strategy, both in theory and practice, to address defense-related problems.
All of our online students receive one-on-one support from our staff. The interactive features of the online platform also allow you to talk to professors and fellow classmates so you’re never out on your own.
Fill out the inquiry form on this page and one of our enrollment counselors will guide you through the application process.
Your transcripts from other regionally accredited universities and colleges will be evaluated for possible transfer.
Yes! Our online programs were created with working professionals in mind. Balancing a career and family can be hard enough so we’ve ensured that you can access your coursework on the go and from multiple devices.