ONLINE M.ED. IN LITERACY EDUCATION
Connect to opportunities to become an effective and reflective literacy leader.
Earn Your Master’s in Literacy Education
Prepare to become a specialized literacy professional with a particular focus on literacy education in linguistically diverse settings with UTEP’s 100% online M.Ed. in Literacy Education program.
The M.Ed. in Literacy Education is ideal for: teachers who would like an advanced degree to deepen their knowledge of literacy with linguistically diverse learners, teachers who would like to take on leadership roles in their campuses/districts, and community-based educators and adult educators who apply specialized knowledge of literacy in classroom settings in schools and communities.
The program also provides coursework that prepares students for the Texas Reading Specialist (#151) certification*.
*Note: Requires additional training, certification and completion of other requirements.
What You’ll Learn
As a student of the program, you will learn how to:
- Balance theories/current scholarship in teaching/research in literacy education and apply them to practice
- Develop, implement, and assess literacy curriculum and professional development in literacy
- Apply your knowledge across diverse learners/learners with diverse needs
You will have opportunities for personal instruction with faculty, practical engagement in the field, and collaboration with a cohort of peers. The program’s flexible, accelerated online format includes:
- Hands-on field-based practicum experiences
- Action research projects to link theory to practice
- Engagement with new digital tools
- Expanded professional networks through our cohort model
- Individualized capstone project linking research, theory, and practice in literacy education as a culminating program experience
Graduates of our program are well-qualified for the following types of positions:
- Teacher or Community-Based Educator – Applies specialized knowledge of literacy in classroom settings across the lifespan, in schools and communities
- Reading Specialist – Applies specialized knowledge of literacy to planning, instruction, and assessment for students experiencing difficulties in reading and writing
- Literacy or Instructional Coach – Applies specialized knowledge of literacy, curriculum, and assessment to support teacher learning and professional development
Other positions well suited to our graduates include curriculum developer, literacy specialist or consultant in publishing and industry, doctoral student, community college instructor, adjunct faculty.
Connect to Your FutureLearn how UTEP Connect can help you earn the degree or certificate you need.
Connect to Your Online Education
Earn a quality education at a competitive cost. Financial aid and scholarships are available to help even more.
Benefit from convenient and flexible class formats designed to help you cross the finish line at your own pace.
Earn the same degree as your on-campus peers with unique support services, just for online students.
Complete valuable coursework, directly related to the work you want to do in the real world.
Apply your efforts to a curriculum that will prepare you with valuable skills and help you earn an in-demand job.
Join a rigorous online program, taught by the same faculty with the same high-quality curriculum as your on-campus peers.